9 19 2018
JOB TITLE: CLERK OF WORKS - ZPPA 04
The Zambia Public Procurement Authority (ZPPA) a body corporate and responsible for regulation of public procurement in Zambia invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment into ZPPA’s establishment for the following positions:
A. JOB TITLE: CLERK OF WORKS - ZPPA 04
To supervise the ‘Design and Build’ of an annex office block in line with the Public Procurement Act, Regulations, contract and Best Practices, and advise Management on technical issues relating to the project.
2.0 STATEMENT OF MAIN DUTIES
Under the overall direction and guidance of the Project Manager, the job holder will be responsible for supervision of the construction works from contract signing stage to completion of the works and final handover of the completed building to the Zambia Public Procurement Authority. The job holder will specifically perform the following duties among others:
- To coordinate the works, issue instructions and to ensure sufficient compliance in all respects of the works done by the Contractor to drawings, specifications, bills of quantities and any other documents relating to the contract, and to attend to any matter involving this project.
- Arrange for site handover, hold pre-contract meeting, check and compile for submission to the Project Manager the performance guarantee, advance payment guarantee and insurance certificates.
- Monitor the day-to-day execution of works on site and ensure compliance to the specifications, variations, instructions, drawings and all other related contract documents, including renewal of advance and performance securities.
- To prepare monthly works progress reports and submit to the Project Manager.
- Arrange and coordinate periodic site meetings to monitor progress, quality and financial matters and record minutes for the Project Manager.
- Review, check and report on quotations/tenders obtained by the contractor for nominated sub-contractors where necessary and examine, evaluate and report on the main contractor’s variation/fluctuation claims.
- Inspect and certify the materials, equipment and plant on site to be used by the contractor and sub-contractors, in order to ensure compliance with specifications and standards.
- Issue instructions to the contractor for variations and advise the client to approve proposals for any such variations to the works, while maintaining records of all such instructions and all other relevant information.
- Prepare monthly valuations and issue interim payment certificates for interim payments due to the contractor and maintain records of all payments and other financial matters.
- Carry site re-measurements with the contractor on all provisional quantities in the bills of quantities and report exact quantities to the Project Manager.
- Prepare a list of snags on completion and acceptance of the works and submit to the Project Manager and ensure that all defects are attended to and completed.
- Prepare a final valuation and account in collaboration with the contractor for the contract.
- Facilitate the release of performance securities to the contractor after issuance of certificate of completion as stated in the contract conditions.
- Prepare Post Contract Report for submission to the Project Manager.
- Perform other lawful duties assigned by the Project Manager from time to time.
3.0 QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Full Grade Twelve (12) School Certificate with five (5) credits or better;
- Recognised University degree in Civil/Structural Engineering or Architecture or Construction Management or Building Science/ Quantity Surveying or related field, with at least four (4) years’ experience in construction of buildings; and
- A master’s degree in a related field will be an added advantage.
4.0 OTHER SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Good communication skills in writing and oral orientation;
- Possess Technical , interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills;
- Should be a able to prepare and present technical reports for management use;
- Ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings, specifications; and
- Must be registered with a relevant professional body and have a valid practising license.
The appointment of the position of Clerk of Works is on a one year and six months contract basis but may be extended upon mutual agreement.
All applications will be treated in strictest confidence and should comprise a curriculum vitae and certified copies of Grade Twelve (12) certificate, Degree including transcript of degrees and any other relevant certificates, National Registration Card, and current practicing certificate of the relevant professional body as required as required by this position. Applications should be clearly marked “APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AS CLERK OF WORKS” and addressed to:
The Director General
Zambia Public Procurement Authority
Stand 11790 Sub J
Off Alick Nkhata Road
P. O. Box 31009
The closing date for receipt of applications will be Friday, 14th December, 2018 at 17:00 hours. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.